“WP-Rocket” and “W3 Total Cache” both of them are the most popular plugins to improve WordPress performance. W3 Total Cache can be enough for you if you are a beginner. Sometimes you may need super-fast speed for your website; in this case, WP Rocket can be the best choice for you. We will share our opinion about which caching plugin works best among the WP Rocket vs W3 Total Cache.
A fast loading website always gives a great user experience and also helps in better ranking. You can use different types of cache plugin to make your site load faster. Some peoples are curious to find out which caching plugin works great. This post will be beneficial for these peoples. At first, we should gather some knowledge about cache and caching plugins.
Few words about caching
Caching is worked to save data and store it for later use. It is one kind of temporary storage area. By improving the load times of your web pages, caching can create the ultra-fast load times that site user’s desire.
Caching plugins are used to save and create static HTML versions of your pages. WordPress plugin directory can give you access to a wide range of caching plugins that you can use to increase your website performance. But two of them specifically stand out from the list. Here are some benefits of using caching plugins for WordPress-
- These plugins can reduce the unwanted caching load on your hosting servers.
- They provide the ultimate experience to both search engines and users.
- Plugins are used to increase the performance and speed of your websites.
WP Rocket and W3 Total Cache plugins are universally preferred. We compared these two plugins here, let’s start the battle.
Performance Test Results of WP Rocket vs W3 Total Cache
We have gathered some test results of these cache plugins and now we are providing the performance comparison of the WP Rocket vs W3 total cache. In this part, we used a few of the best website performance checking tools. So let’s move to the topic.
We get a performance report for the pages of Bloggers Passion. You will see the live report of this blog site. At first, we will give the result of using WP Rocket Cache plugin.
This is the performance report after using WP Rocket and now we will see the report using W3 Total Cache plugin on the same website. Then we will compare both of these plugins.
You may notice the scores of using W3 Total Cache plugin performance report. The scores are- Page Speed score: 95%, YSlow Score: 89%, Fully loaded time: 1.8 seconds, Total page size: 610 KB, Requests: 51.
On the other hand, the performance metrics after installing WP Rocket plugin is like that- Page Speed score: 97%, YSlow Score: 95%, Fully loaded time: 1.4 seconds, Total page size: 368 KB, Requests: 20. You can calculate some major difference between these plugins. The Page Speed score increased by 2%, YSlow Score increased score by 7%, Full loaded time down from 1.8 seconds to 1.4 seconds, Total page size gets down from 610 KB to 368 KB.
So it’s clear that almost all of the page metrics have improved to a great extent after using WP Rocket plugin. You have to say that installing this plugin helps to accelerate page performance.
2. Pingdom test:
On the second test report, we gather the performance report from Online Media Masters website. We will provide the test result of this site. Let’s move to the next level by using the W3 Total Cache plugin.
This is the Pingdom test report of the website after using W3 Total Cache. Let’s do the same process with WP Rocket and compare both of these plugins.
There is a clear indication of improving the performance after using WP Rocket cache plugin. You can see the huge difference in load time which get down from 619 ms to 406 ms. So definitely, WP Rocket won the test in the Pingdom results. You may see even better results for many other websites. You can make a comparison between other cache plugins on your website by using these performance test tools.
Note: please make sure that all the settings are configured optimally before you start a performance test.
WP Rocket vs W3 Total Cache: Which One is The Best
In short words, WP Rocket is a premium caching plugin while W3 Total Cache is a FREE cache plugin. First one comes with lazy image loading, browser caching, cache preloading and GZIP compression, etc. It may cost you $49 per year. On the other hand, the second one offers you features like page caching, browser caching, object caching and database caching, etc.
In these days, WP Rocket is the most widely used premium caching plugin. It can be the best choice for accelerating the website speed. This plugin is so much reliable, user-friendly, and more effective than others. WP Rocket can activate in a single click and extremely easy to use.
These are the most predominant reasons for installing it. You don’t need any previous programming knowledge to use it. This plugin instantly improves the indexing of your website by search engines. Regular clean-up feature of this plugin will help in running your website smoothly. It will boost the performance of your site by reducing its database size.
Your site images will be loaded as your visitor travels down the page when the lazy load feature is turned on. So that page speed will be improved by not pre-loading every image on the page. By the way, WP Rocket offers 50% discounts for existing customers so that you can renew your licenses at a discounted rate.
Let’s take a look at WP Rocket plugin’s full features list-
- Browser caching
- Database optimization
- Google fonts optimization
- Remove query strings from static resources
- Lazy load of images
- Minification and concatenation
- Defer JS loading
- Cloud flare compatibility
- CDN integration
- DNS prefetching
- Mobile detection
- Multisite compatibility
- E-commerce friendly
- Multilingual compatibility
- Page caching
- Cache preloading
- Sitemap preloading
- GZip compression
Best features of WP Rocket cache plugin
We can share some major reasons to consider WP Rocket. You will get your answers that why should you spend money on this premium caching plugin.
Website developers can easily make advanced customizations because it offers clean, commented and loads of hooks. This plugin also comes with Gzip compression technique to increase your site loading times. Gzip compression is the most effective way to save bandwidth. It can quickly reduce the size of files sent from your server.
2. You will get exclusive access to customer support with this plugin. Their expert support team will help you to fix any WordPress performance issues which can slow down your website.
It’s time to make your choice. Otherwise, please look forward.
W3 Total Cache:
The most beneficial part of this caching plugin is it’s free. Sometimes paying for a WP plugin is quite not possible for many developers after spending huge money on building their website. Some of the top hosting providers usually recommend this plugin.
W3 total cache is suggested if you are looking for a useful, basic, and free caching plugin with lots of potential for customization. That’s why it is one of the most downloaded cache plugins. It has millions of WordPress users worldwide. It is one kind of optimized plugin that is specially designed focusing on user experience and page speed.
There is a major thing to note about this plugin, is the level of difficulty of the settings. This plugin comes with over 15 pages of settings. So it is not the most user-friendly plugin, especially for an inexperienced website developer. But it can suit everyone’s requirement with a huge variety of customization options.
By the way, W3 Total Cache has an extensive online forum and FAQ section on the plugin page. For your kind information, it is the second most downloaded WP cache plugin. But it has countless complaints that it breaks people’s website. Also, configuring the W3 Total Cache settings are still pretty complicated.
Let’s get to the point and take a look at the W3 Total Cache plugin’s full features list-
- Browser caching.
- Optimizes progressive render.
- Reduces the page load time.
- Cache database objects on the drive or in memory.
- Cache fragment on disk or in memory.
- Allows performing caching of the database, fragments, objects and so on.
- Increases visit time on the site by reducing the time of page load.
- Supports AMP and SSL.
- Minification of posts, pages, and feeds.
- Provide improved web server performance.
- Cache object on disk or in memory.
Best features of W3 Total cache plugin
We have some strong reasons to install the W3 Total Cache plugin. By reading these features, you will know much more about this WP plugin.
- You may don’t know that W3 Total Cache is the one and only WPO (WordPress Performance Optimization) framework. It’s trusted and used by some of the most popular brands like Matt Cutts, AT&T, Pearsonified.com, Smashing Magazine, Mashable, Make Use Of, John Chow and many more.
- This WP plugin is completely free, and it’s the first reason to consider W3 Total Cache plugin over WP Rocket. It doesn’t cost you anything while WP Rocket basic plan starts at $49 per year. It can be a vast choice if you don’t have any budget for getting premium cache plugins.
So, these features are the main object of the W3 Total Cache plugin. We will also discuss some major differences between WP Rocket vs. W3 Total Cache plugins in the next section.
- W3 Total Cache plugin can break your website structure. Thousands of people claim about this plugin’s breaking websites. There is also a high risk of an XSS vulnerability in this plugin. Please take a backup before you install this plugin to your site. But WP Rocket is far better in this case, and it is much reliable. It has less chance of causing an error. It should not break your website.
- W3 Total Cache is quite hard to configure while WP Rocket is easier to configure. There are so many settings and options in this plugin which may be confusing. Especially if you are not usual with configuring cache plugins. You can say that it is not the most accessible plugin to set.
- WP Rocket always releases their new updates minimum 2-3 times each month. This plugin regularly updated With Bug Fixes and Enhancements. You can expect new features to run the plugin smoothly. They have an excellent support team where you can contact them. Also, they have tons of documentation to answer your questions. On the other hand, W3 Total Cache Rarely Update their products. The support team of this plugin developer is too much weak.
- Most of the plugins do not have lazy loading or database cleanup options. You may have to use three extra plugins to have these features, but WP Rocket has both of these features built-in. There is no database cleanup or lazy loading options available in W3 Total Cache plugin which can significantly improve the page load times.
- There is a similarity in both of these plugins. They support Cloudflare and multiple CDNs where most of the cache plugins only support only one CDN. It is a significant advantage of these plugins.
Installing a cache plugin helps to accelerate your website page load times. To be frank, WP Rocket always comes out ahead of W3 Total Cache. Installation, usability, and configuration are the main facts to choose WP Rocket. W3 Total Cache also comes out on top in comparison with other free plugins.
It can be a perfect choice if you’re a beginner. Otherwise, WP Rocket is best for someone who’s looking for top web hosting performance. After all the discussion, we hope choosing the best plugin among WP Rocket Vs W3 total cache will be much easier for you.